[EM] A few papers on election science I'd like to point out to y'all
Arthur Wist
2018-01-29 13:43:27 UTC
Hello,

Sorry in advanced for the huge load of information all at once, but I think
you'll highly likely find the following quite interesting:

On how people misunderstood the Duggan-Schwartz theorem:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1611.07105 - Two statements of the Duggan-Schwartz
theorem
https://arxiv.org/abs/1611.07102 - Manipulability of consular election
rules

EVERYTHING here:
https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ssb0yjUAAAAJ&sortby=pubdate

Some key highlights from that last link above:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1708.07580 - Achieving Proportional Representation
via Voting [ On which a blog post exists:
https://medium.com/@haris.aziz/achieving-proportional-representation-2d741871e78.
Better than STV and STV derivatives in all criteria? You decide! ]

http://materials.dagstuhl.de/files/17/17261/17261.HarisAziz.Slides.pdf -
Proportional Representation in Approval-based Voting and Beyond. [This is a
presentation - and it's outdated by now, albeit it's only from Summer last
year.]

https://arxiv.org/abs/1703.10415 - A polynomial-time algorithm to achieve
extended justified representation

https://arxiv.org/abs/1711.06030 - Sub-committee Approval Voting and
Generalised Justified Representation Axiom [This generalizes large parts of
the mathematics of voting theory!]

And on the topic of committees, not quite from election science, but
relevant nonetheless:

https://arxiv.org/abs/0804.2202 - To how many politicians should
government be left? [With a p-value of =<10^-6. And no, that's NOT a typo.]
https://arxiv.org/abs/0808.1684 - Parkinson's Law Quantified: Three
Investigations on Bureaucratic Inefficiency

The above two papers got a bit of news & blog coverage back in the day:

http://old.themoscowtimes.com/article/business-in-brief/article/austrians-suggest-small-is-better/article/austrians-suggest-small-is-better/362667.html

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2008/apr/27/physicists-quantify-the-coefficient-of-inefficiency

https://www.nature.com/news/2008/080822/full/news.2008.1050.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/4221839/Eight-people-on-committee-leads-to-decision-deadlock-scientists-say.html

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/numbers-up-for-unlucky-eight-nnt5js8jdvm

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20126902.200-editorial-parkinsons-law-is-alive-and-well/

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20126901.300-explaining-the-curse-of-work/?full=true

Kind regards,
Jameson Quinn
Arthur Wist
2018-02-04 07:37:07 UTC
Post by Jameson Quinn
Thanks a lot!
Glad to help! :)
Post by Jameson Quinn
More of us should post stuff like this.
Well, in the meantime, have a new preprint, on the same topics, published
to aRxiv on Monday:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1801.09346 - "Representing the Insincere:
Strategically Robust Proportional Representation"

Kind regards,
Kristofer Munsterhjelm
2018-02-04 17:22:03 UTC
Post by Arthur Wist
Hello,
Sorry in advanced for the huge load of information all at once, but I
https://arxiv.org/abs/1611.07105 - Two statements of the Duggan-Schwartz
theorem
https://arxiv.org/abs/1611.07102 -  Manipulability of consular election
rules
https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ssb0yjUAAAAJ&sortby=pubdate
https://arxiv.org/abs/1708.07580 - Achieving Proportional Representation
Better than STV and STV derivatives in all criteria? You decide! ]
From a cursory look at the latter, that looks like Bucklin with a
STV-style elect-and-reweight system. I wrote some posts about a
vote-management resistant version of Bucklin at
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2016-December/001234.html
and
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2017-September/001584.html,
and found out that the simplest way of breaking a tie when more than one
candidate exceeds a Droop quota is nonmonotonic.

The simplest tiebreak is that when there are multiple candidates with
more than a quota's worth of votes (up to the rank you're considering),
you elect the one with the most votes. This can be nonmonotone in th
following way:

Suppose in the base scenario, A wins by tiebreak, and B has one vote
less at the rank q, so A is elected instead of B. In a later round, say,
q+1, E wins. Then suppose a few voters who used to rank A>E decides to
push E higher.

Then B wins at rank q. If now most of the B voters vote E at rank q+1,
it may happen that the deweighting done to these voters (since they got
what they wanted with B being elected instead of A) could keep the
method from electing E.

E.g. A could be a left-wing candidate, B be a right-wing candidate, and
E a center-right candidate. In the base scenario, A wins and then the B
voters get compensated by having the center-right candidate win. But
when someone raises E, the method can't detect the left wing support and
so the right-wing candidate wins instead. Afterwards, the right-wing has
drawn weight away from E (due to E not being a perfect centrist, but
instead being center-right), and so E doesn't win.

Achieving monotonicity in multiwinner rules is rather hard; it's not
obvious how a method could get around the scenario above without
considering later ranks.

I'm not sure if rank-maximality solves the problem above. If it doesn't,
then the above is an example of CM failure but not RRCM failure.

See also
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2012-January/094876.html
and
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2012-February/095188.html
for another Bucklin PR method that seemed to be monotone.

It's also unknown whether Schulze STV is monotone, though it seems to do
much better than IRV-type STV in this respect. And I'd add that there's
yet another (very strong) type of monotonicity not mentioned in the
paper as far as I could see. Call it "all-winners monotonicity" -
raising a winner on some ballot should not replace any of the candidates
on the elected council with anyone ranked lower on that ballot.

(There's a result by Woodall that you can't have all of LNHelp, LNHarm,
mutual majority and monotonicity. Perhaps, due to the difficulty of
stopping the monotonicity failure scenario above, the equivalent for
multiwinner would turn out to be "you can't have either LNHelp or
LNHarm, and both Droop proportionality and monotonicity"...)
----
Jameson Quinn
2018-02-04 19:18:16 UTC
Yes, I believe that many of these references refer to what is essentially
BTV, which has been known on this list for some time now as a superior
option to STV. I'm happy that it's now in the literature, and don't really
care about naming/precedence.

It's my experience that many prop-rep voting methods can be expressed in
terms of an STV backend. PLACE, Dual Member Proportional, many MMP
variants, etc. can all be seen as just adding options (such as overlapping
seats for MMP and DMP, biproportionality for DMP and PLACE, and partial
delegation for PLACE) on top of STV. You could therefore create new
versions of all of the above by replacing STV with BTV. I think this would
be a small step up — but not worth the additional difficulty of
explanation, in a world that's more used to STV.
Post by Kristofer Munsterhjelm
Post by Arthur Wist
Hello,
Sorry in advanced for the huge load of information all at once, but I
https://arxiv.org/abs/1611.07105 - Two statements of the Duggan-Schwartz
theorem
https://arxiv.org/abs/1611.07102 - Manipulability of consular election
rules
https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ssb0yjUAAAAJ&sortby=pubdate
https://arxiv.org/abs/1708.07580 - Achieving Proportional Representation
/achieving-proportional-representation-2d741871e78. Better than STV and
STV derivatives in all criteria? You decide! ]
From a cursory look at the latter, that looks like Bucklin with a
Richard Lung
2018-02-04 23:04:33 UTC
BTV "known on this list for some time now as a superior option to STV."
Other systems, including BTV are not so regarded by organisations, like
the PRSA and Electoral Reform Society for well over a century. Not to
mention Fair Votes USA.

Richard Lung.
Post by Jameson Quinn
[...]
From a cursory look at the latter, that looks like Bucklin with a
[...]
http://www.voting.ukscientists.com
Democracy Science series 3 free e-books in pdf:
https://plus.google.com/106191200795605365085
E-books in epub format:
https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/democracyscience

---
Jameson Quinn
<#m_6475345007026157849_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
Richard Lung
2018-02-05 21:21:23 UTC
Have not noticed any theoretcal advantages, tho not familiar with
Bucklin. As mentioned before, Laplace decided in favor of election
counting the relative importance of preferences, which is why he favored
Borda to Condorcet. (It doesn't look like Bucklin does that, beyond
co-opting a Borda count.) Since then Gregory method has improved on
Borda. And actually the Meek method keep value is a further conceptual
improvement. I have an interest to declare there, because have extended
the use of the keep value, in a Binomial STV, and to which I recently
made a couple of up-dates. So it's considerably changed (complexified!)
from the example I did for Kristofer: now it is: Four Averages Binomial
Single Transferable Vote (FAB STV).

Next day (brushing aside the cobwebs): It occurs to me that by
"theoretically superior," you may be refering to Bucklin uniformity of
method for single and multiple vacancies. If so, Binomial STV (STV^) has
that covered, because  it is a progression from Meek method, extending
the use of keep values, to conduct counts for single vacancies the same
way as multiple vacancies, as Gregory method could not, nor indeed Meek
method itself, from where it left off.

For theorists, who seek general explanations, STV^ fulfills the
requirement of a consistent treatment of both single and multiple vacancies.

The scientific significance of this is that STV^ brings a more powerful
scale of measurement to single vacancies. However single vacancies are
(much) less desirable both from a democratic and a mensural view-point,
lacking "Proportional Representation. The key to democracy." (As the
Hoag and Hallett classic is titled.)

Following Google notation for "to the power of", which is the
circumflex, ^, then notation for Binomial STV is: STV^. The binomial
theorem expands by powers, and this expansion is the (non-commutative)
guide for systematic STV recounts.

Traditional (uninomial) STV is STV^0 (zero order STV -- like your
start-up Meccano set 0, which this child never got beyond!).
First order Binomial STV is STV^1. (Basic combination of preference
election count and reverse preference or unpreference exclusion count)
Second order is STV^2, and so on. (Recounts based on systematic
qualifications of the previous order results.)

  from
Richard Lung.
Post by Jameson Quinn
[...]
From a cursory look at the latter, that looks like Bucklin
with a STV-style elect-and-reweight system. I wrote some
[...]
for list info
----